Zello PTT functionality
The Zello PTT integration adds push to talk functionality for quick conversations between dispatchers and drivers. As part of this integration, Digital Fleet has the ability to automatically create order channels and assign trucks to it as they are ticketed.
Web user experience
Web users will use the Zello Work desktop application for the Zello integration. Through the Zello Work application, web users will be able to view contacts and channels for push to talk communications.
For more details on the Zello Work desktop application visit the Zello Work PC Application User Guide.
Driver app experience
Tablet users will use the Zello Android application for the Zello integration. When the Zello integration is enabled in DigiTrack, a TALK button will be available from the main HUD and map screen that directly links out to the Zello application.
To ease moving back into the DigiTrack application, a DigiTrack overlay will open when selecting the TALK button. Selecting the overlay will take you back to the DigiTrack app. It can also be moved to different parts of the screen by dragging the part of the overlay.
For more details on the Zello Work Android application visit the Zello Android Application User Guide.
The client must have a current Zello account or must set up a Zello account independently. Visit https://zello.com/pricing/ for more details on setting up a Zello account.
DigiTrack driver app integration with Zello
- The Zello Android application must be installed on the tablets with DigiTrack to allow the TALK button to open the Zello application.
- Log into the Zello application with the appropriate user credentials for the truck to view the Zello channels.
Zello API setup
In order for Digital Fleet to provide automatic channel management, a Zello API key and the credentials for an admin level user are required.
Enable Zello API key: You can enable the API key on your Zello Work dashboard. This is found in the network overview section of the dashboard ([networkname].zellowork.com/dashboard) .
Create admin level user for Digital Fleet: To allow Digital Fleet to use your Zello API for automatic channel management, access to an admin level user is required. This can be accomplished by creating a unique Digital Fleet user or re-using an existing admin account.
NOTE: For API setup, the username and password for the admin account are required.
Digital Fleet setup
After setting up the Zello API and admin account, the information will need to be added into the Digital Fleet client settings. This can be accomplished by a client admin or one of the Digital Fleet support staff.
On the settings page select the Client Info menu time and then your company name in the table.
Update the Zello Settings section of the client settings with the requisite information from the Zello setup.
API Key: enter the key from the Zello Work dashboard
Login: admin account login username created for Digital Fleet
Network Name: your private Zello Work network name (e.g. Enter yourcompanyname for the yourcompanyname.zellowork.com network)
New Password: admin account password
Web user setup
Web users will need a Zello account to use the Zello Work application. When web users are set up for Zello use, they will automatically be added to order channels based on their truck class access.
There are two options for syncing the Digital Fleet web user account with the appropriate Zello account.
Option 1: When creating a dispatch user, use the same email that is used in DigitalFleet.
Option 2: If the same email cannot be used, then you must provide the Zello account name for the user in DigitalFleet. There is a section in the user configuration for Zello
The individual trucks will also need Zello accounts to use the Zello Android app with two options for syncing the Digital Fleet trucks with the appropriate Zello account for the truck.
Option 1: When creating a truck user, match the zello user name exactly with the Digital Fleet truck name.
Option 2: If the truck name cannot exactly match, then the Zello user name for the truck must be set on the Zello Id field in the Digital Fleet truck settings.
Zello channel management
Digital Fleet will automatically add and remove channels from your Zello account based on active tickets in the system. The flow goes as follows:
- A ticket is assigned to a truck.
- A dynamic Zello channel is created for that order.
- All trucks on that order will be added dynamically when they are ticketed for the order.
- At ticket completion, the truck will be removed from the order channel.
- Dispatchers are added to the channel based on their truck class access.
- If a dispatcher is allowed to view all truck classes in Digital Fleet, they will be added to all order channels.
- If a dispatcher has limited truck class access in Digital Fleet, they will only be added to orders for truck classes they have access to.
- Once there are no active trucks or tickets on the order, the channel will be removed.
Zello configuration options
Within your Zello web portal there are a number of possible configurations and settings for user controls. Below are common settings controls.
Dynamic (used for order channels): Members can connect and disconnect as needed, and make one-to-many calls from Channels. Members are not added to each other's Contacts.
Team: Members can make one-to-many calls from Channels. Members are added to each other's Contacts for one-on-one calls.
- To prevent users from seeing and initiating one-to-one conversations with other users, remove the users from any team channels.
- Removing a user from all team channels will remove all contacts from the users contact list.
Hidden: Members are added to each other's Contacts for one-to-one calls. This channel will not be visible to users.
Image messaging (enabled by default): Disable to prevent users from sending images to their contacts. More details
Text messaging (enabled by default): Disable to prevent users from sending text messages to their contacts.
Allow Ad Hoc group conversations: When turned on, Android users will be able to create private Ad Hoc group conversations. More details
Maximum voice message duration (unlimited by default): If a user talks longer than this limit the message will stop automatically. Use to prevent accidental open mics.
Android settings (controls tablet application options)
Auto-run on startup (enabled by default): Starts Zello automatically when starting the device.
Disable option to mute selected users and channels: Prevents users from muting other users and channels to ensure all calls are played on the device.
Web console settings
Enable limited access users: Enables the ability to define a user as limited access.
- Limited access users cannot start one-on-one conversations. They can only talk in channels or respond to incoming calls.
- Enabling this setting, along with disabling unrestricted access for specific users, will prevent the users ability to initiate conversations with other contacts.
DIGITAL FLEET, LLC | email@example.com | (630) 518-4606